Re: "martian source" messages flooding /var/log/messages

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 11:41 AM, Pascal Hambourg
<pascal.mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Nicholas Tung a écrit :
> >
> >     I'm still getting about 1 printout per second about martian
> > packets on an ethernet interface. I tried disabling log_martians, but
> > it seems to have no effect. I have the interface configured without an
> > IP because it's used for bridging virtual machines.
>
> AFAIK, this should not happen on a bridged interface because incoming
> packets are handled by the bridge code instead of the IP stack (which
> produces these martian messages).

hmm... if I configure a bridged network, I get martian errors, only on
the bridged interface (even when VirtualBox is not running).

the unrelated nice thing is that it (logged martian information) did
help me discover some errors in our network setup :)

regards,
Nicholas