Re: Netfilter issue: inconsistent incoming interface when bridging w/ PPP

Philip A. Prindeville a écrit :

>>> Oh, right.  I was confused.  I was thinking of actually having an "FBI
>>> jack" for watching traffic.
>>
>> You might want to try to set the 'setageingtime' to 0 so the bridge code
>> does not remember MAC addresses and acts as a dumb hub instead of a
>> switch.

I did some testing with the bridge ageing time. Firstly, brctl man page
contains a mistake : the command is "setageing", not "setageingtime".
Secondly, when the ageing time is set to zero locally generated frames
and incoming frames with the destination MAC address different from any
of the bridge own MAC addresses are forwarded on all ports, but incoming
frames with the destination address equal to one of the bridge own MAC
addresses are not forwarded on all ports. That was expected : the bridge
permanently knows these addresses are its own, even when the aging time
is 0. So it does not completely turn the bridge into a dumb hub. You can
"mirror" outgoing frames on the other port, but not all incoming frames
and specifically not PPPoE frames sent to the bridge MAC address, if
that is what you are interested in.

>>> Does that use the 'TEE' target, or what?
>>
>> Instead of a bridge, you mean ? TEE works on IPv4 packets, so it is not
>> possible to wiretap PPPoE traffic, only the IPv4 trafic within before it
>> enters or after it leaves the PPP interface.
[...]
> I just want to be able to take all packets coming in or going out the
> DSL interface and copy them onto an Ethernet interface, for sniffing.
>
> Too bad there's no easy way to do this with netfilter.

What are you interested in exactly ? The whole PPPoE frames with
ethernet and PPPoE headers, LCP and IPCP packets and so on or only the
IP packets in the PPP session ? If you are only interested in the IP
packets, then TEE may be an option instead of a bridge for both incoming
and outgoing traffic, although it is not included in the standard kernel
AFAIK.