Re: Netfilter issue: inconsistent incoming interface when bridging w/ PPP

Hello,

Philip A. Prindeville a écrit :
> I have a DSL card (a Traverse Technologies Solos ATM/DSL card) than
> exposes a PPPoE adaptation layer as an ethernet interface (nas0).

I guess you mean ethernet/LLC AAL5 instead of PPPoE.

> I've set up bridging (br0=eth0+nas0).  And I'm using an iptables based firewall
> (Arno's iptables firewall 1.9.2c).
>
> I'm running PPP over br0.  (Why did I do this?  So I could stick a
> packet sniffer on eth0 and get traces of everything going out over the
> DSL...)

Prepare to be disappointed. A bridge port does not see traffic that
flows between other ports.

> Problem is, I can't tell if I need to set my external (ingress) interface to br0,
> or to ppp0... because the logs show both (IN=br0 and IN=ppp0) -- even for the same
> packet!  Not sure why.
>
> Any suggestions (besides "don't use bridging!!!")?
>
> Is this an artifact of PPP and pseudo-interfaces, or of bridging, or both?

I didn't watch your logs closely, but this might be caused by bridge-nf
which passes bridged IP packets to iptables. Since Linux 2.6.22 it can
even pass IP packets encapsulated in PPPoE frames. Useful when you want
to setup a filtering bridge, but may have undesirable effects when you
want a plain transparent bridge. And you know what ? This is enabled by
default. If you don't need/want iptables to see bridged traffic
(iptables will still see normal routed IP trafic at bridge interfaces),
clear all parameters in /proc/sys/net/bridge/, specially
bridge-nf-filter-pppoe-tagged.