Getting 802.1Q VLAN ID from tagged packets with hardware acceleration on

Dear linux-net,

I'm running the stock kernel of Ubuntu Hardy:
2.6.27-7-generic #1 SMP Tue Nov 4 19:33:06 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux

My eth0 is:
driver: e1000e
version: 0.3.3.3-k6
firmware-version: 2.1-12
bus-info: 0000:04:00.0

If have several VLANs configured on eth0, such as:

  eth0.105
  eth0.106
  eth0.107

When I run tcpdump on each, I can see the traffic for the respective VLAN.
When I tcpdump eth0, I can see the traffic for *all* the VLANs.

So far so good.

Except, when I look at the traffic for all the VLANs, the VLAN ID is not
present.  Many hours of googling, looking at the e1000e driver code and VLAN
code, and picking other ppl's brains, has led me to believe that VLAN
hardware acceleration is stripping the tag from the frame, so I can't actually
see the VLAN ID.

So my question is, is it possible to turn hwaccel off for this card without
hacking and recompiling the driver?  Or can I get the VLAN ID using some other
method that I don't know about?

Also, some of code and commit messages I've read seem to indicate even if
tcpdump could show me the VLAN ID, I wouldn't necessarily get any of this
traffic unless eth0 is in promisc mode.

My main goal here is to be able to bridge eth0 to another device and ensure
that that device can see all the tagged traffic that comes in eth0.  eth0 is
plugged into a Cisco switch and is a trunk port.

Any suggestions?

--
Garry Dolley
ARP Networks, Inc.                          http://www.arpnetworks.com