Re: question about 3sec timeouts with tcp

A few month ago we discussed a problem with 3sec timeouts on tcp connects (thread "question about 3sec timeouts with tcp"). Unfortunately we can't find a solution. Since then many many people wrote me a mail asking for advice or further help. Therefore I decided to post the current state of our investigations.

First of all: the problem is not solved yet - we only have a workaround.

There is a default timeout value of three seconds in the network stack. The occurence of this timeout can have various reasons. Therefore I'm not sure if all guys who posted to the thread really had the same problem ...

Anyway, what we noticed is a dependency on the kernel version itself and the kernel version of the two involved servers (web server and database server). If both server have the same kernel version the 3sec timeout occures less frequently. And specific kernel versions are not affected at all. We have tested the 2.6.23.x kernel version (I think this has been the most recent kernel version at that time). All versions before 2.6.23.3 are OK, all versions since 2.6.23.4 are bad. When you look at the changelog you can see that between these two versions there have been many changes in the network stack ... The 2.6.24.x kernels and even the 2.6.25.x kernels are not affected (without any hints in the changelog). As you can see: it is a matter of trial and error.

What we have done is installing the same 2.6.25.x kernel on all servers (we have not tested the current kernel version 2.6.26.x yet). This is working well for us and reduces the 3sec timeouts to a minimum (approximately 20 timeouts within four million requests). These 20 timeouts can be ignored I think ...

If someone finds a solution for this issue it would be nice to hear about it ...

Kind regards,
Leo