Re: question about 3sec timeouts with tcp

Leo wrote:

Are we able to find a kernel which doesn't not trigger the 3s delay ? This way we would be able to know where to look at in the commits involving this kernel part.

Leo, what kernel versions are you using? Could you please try older kernels on the client, say 2.6.20 for starters? I have the feeling that this bug is present for months... (2.6.20 was released on feb 2007)

Great idea: I have checked all servers in our production environment. The oldest kernel versions are 2.6.15.4 and 2.6.15.5. I noticed that the server with kernel 2.6.15.4 hasn't 3 second timeouts for the last five days (we are logging every occurence of the problem including the involved machines) whereas the server with the kernel 2.6.15.5 has got timeouts. I will check this tomorrow.

OK, I have checked it. Unfortunately there are no good news regarding the server "without timeouts": even the server with kernel 2.6.15.4 is getting 3 second tcp timeouts. Our logging facility was down for around a week on this server and therefore no logging entries can be found for the last five days. I.e. the only "news" are that even kernel 2.6.15.4 has the bug. Is somebody working on an older kernel version (or has tested an older version)?

Kind regards,
Leo

Gabriel