Re: question about 3sec timeouts with tcp

on Thursday, Apr 03, 2008, Gabriel Barazer, wrote:
> On 04/02/2008 10:19:14 PM +0200, Brett Paden <paden@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Using Leo's c test on a 2.4.20 kernel, I am __unable__ to create 3000ms
>> timeouts when doing localhost or interface connections to port 3306
>> (obviously with a running mysql server).  Same results with my test.
>
> You mean 2.6.20 don't you? 2.6 and 2.4 branches are way too different to do
> any comparison...

No, I mean 2.4.20.  I'm aware that the tcp implemention is completely
different between the two major kernel versions.  The point of testing
on a 2.4 kernel was to see if this 3000ms hang existed before the 2.6
kernel.   I've done the same test on 2.6.9, 2.6.11 and 2.6.17 kernels
with the same results.

> can you describe precisely how you "run" those tests? For each port you
> test, you need to have a server application listening on it

I do have a server running behind each port.  I'm using Leo's test (c
code to open a por 1000 times) as well as the test script I posted,
running tcpdump on both the client and server side.

> You could for
> example change the port MySQL listens to. Is your MySQL server in a
> production environment? If not, try to reboot to flush any connection table
> before each test run.

I've run tests and routinely collect and analyze data on all the mysql
servers in our production environment (there are about 170 or them) and
in serveral QA environments we have.  This is how I came across the 3s
hang to begin with.  I have not rebooted any machines as part of testing, but am
happy to do so to ensure a clean test.

> I think it's very important to have precise and thorough test results and
> protocols, then double check what we post in this thread if we want to have
> people interested to help and not just thinking this is another bogus
> thread about mysql config problems (and be ignored!).

I agree, but I'm not going to 100% dismiss the possibility there is some
relationship to mysql.  In doing our own extensive testing we discovered
at least one network bottleneck that also generated a 3000ms timeout.
Its entirely possible (although unlikely at this point) that something
else is going on.