Linux forwarding performance Questions?

Hi all,

I am trying to test different OS networking
capabilities    for 4 days.

I am using netperf for testing tool. I have achived to
980Mbit/sec unidirectional speed between two machines.

However when i put Linux machine between this
environment
This speed degrade to approx 240Mbit/sec.

My network diagram quite simple..
|NP Client(s)|<----->|Linux GW|<---->|NP Server(s)|

I tried to tune Linux GW but its not change results..
(Increase tx,rx buffer, change tcp buffer parameters
etc..)

After all i decide this problem may related to HW
problem and i tried to change GW machine to another
platform..Additionally i take one Gigabit/eth from old
machine..

In second platform i have achieved to approx
600Mbit/sec..

So my question arise here..

My first machine use gigabyte GA-M61PM-S2 and two
edimax Gigabit ethernet (EN-9230TX-32 Rtl 8169S).
These two Ethernet use 33Mhz 32bit PCI bus..

And second one have one onboard and additionally one
Edimax GE (Same as first machine) and located 66Mhz
bus..

As i know 33Mhz PCI Bus with 32bit performance is=
(33x10^6)*32=1056000000 --> 1Gb/sec  if add latency
and another effects may performance equal
800Mbit/sec..

And also i have experiments with this system i
installed netperf server and achive to 980Gbit/sec.

So why performance degraded to 240Mbit/sec when i use
two gigabit ethernet on same Bus?

Is this Controller spesific, Linux driver spesific or
Ethernet spesific problem?

Thanks for your answers..
Regards
devrim