Re: Loopback address to eth0 interface and rooting goes wrong

Hi Breno,

First of all, thank you for spending time on my problem.

On 1/22/08, Breno Leitao <leitao@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello Gary
>
> Gary wrote:
> > How is it possible to recover to a normal behaviour without reboot?
> If you use a dhclient server, just renew your IP. Removing the NIC
> module and reloading it doesn't work. :-(
I do not use dhclient on my configuration but I will try it and know
if the dhclient recover the network.
The NIC is compiled in the kernel (it is not a module on my configuration).
I use smsc911x drivers.

> I also noticed something weird. When I try to ping an IP, it returns a
> "Destination Host Unreachable" from "127.0.0.1", instead of 9.3.110.132.
Do you mean that you reproduce my problem?

After I had posted the message, I decided to read with wireshark the
network activity. I was surprised to see my ping (that does not work)
with a 0.0.0.0 source address.

Moreover, someone ask me if I try to perform
  ifconfig eth0 down
  ifconfig lo down
before trying to change the IP address. And then "up".
In fact to change the IP address in a clean way.
Yes I tried that, but it changed nothing. It is still not possible to
reach another machine that are not in my local network.

Regards,
--
Gary
-