Re: eepro100 - Nobody Cares (hardware?)

On 6 Aug 2007 at 17:25, ericj wrote:

> I am receiving the "But it works in Windows" defense for the hardware.
> Pointing out that Windows also accepts broken memory and USB
> implementations does not help at this point.
>
> My system boots fine but when I try to bring up the onboard ethernet (an
> EEPro 100 VE) I get a "Nobody Cares" message and the interrupt is disabled.

The gremlins are likely hiding in the IRQ routing stuff.

The first thing to try: in the bootloader, add the following kernel
command line argument:

irqpoll

It may help you get the misrouted interrupt serviced.
This argument arranges that all the registered IRQ handlers
get asked... (I believe).
If this helps, yell at the mobo vendor to provide a BIOS update
with a proper fix to the relevant ACPI table (likely MADT).
It may be that the vendor provided wrong input to the ACPI compiler,
or perhaps he's using the Microsoft ACPI compiler, which reports
fewer warnings than an Intel ACPI compiler, plus there are different
versions of ACPI and ACPI compilers... try to get a fresher
BIOS to correct the potential ACPI problem.

ICH4M IMO contains an IO-APIC. Do you have this enabled?
You need to have "IO-APIC support on uniprocessors"
and "Local APIC support on uniprocessors" enabled in the
Linux kernel config.
If yes, how are you getting it configured, via MPS or ACPI?
If you have ACPI enabled in the kernel and present in the BIOS, and
there are no further kernel command-line arguments related to PCI IRQ
routing, your kernel is likely using ACPI.

Could you post a listing of /proc/interrupts, for starters?
It would be interesting to know if your Linux and Windows
report using IRQ numbers above 15 - either 16 to 23,
or even some high numbers such as 168 or 203...
The output of dmesg should also mention any APIC's
detected, and any opinion the kernel may have about
the ACPI version etc.

Frank Rysanek

-