Re: How to disable ping reply to our own IP address when the eth ifc is down ?

David Miller wrote:
> From: Al Boldi <a1426z@xxxxxxxxx>
> > David Miller wrote:
> > > From: Yanping Du <ypdu2001@xxxxxxxxx>
> > >
> > > We're not replying to the "eth interface" we're replying
> > > to the IP address which is still assosciated with this host
> > > even though the interface it is assigned to is down.
> >
> > Down implies a temporary inactivation.
>
> The interface is going down, the address hasn't been removed, they are
> seperate and distinct operations.

Exactly.

>  If you remove the address, we'll
> stop responding to it.

Removing the address implies a permanent inactivation.

> > You are effectively disabling functionality by implementing the host
> > based model on top of the interface.
>
> "/sbin/ip addr del xxx" works perfectly fine.

Imagine two apps, one down'ing the interface, the other up'ing the interface.
With your scheme this isn't possible, unless app2 knows the ipaddr.

> And it's not "on top of", it's "in conjunction with".

Not really, as you are forced to remove ipaddr data to get the ifbased model,
which implies a reduction in features.

> Look, the default is not changing, that's what existing Linux systems
> do and have done for more than 10 years, and therefore we'll break
> things everywhere if we change.

No need to change the default; all we need is a compatibility option, like:

# echo ifbased > /proc/../conf/all/compat
# echo hostbased > /proc/../conf/all/compat
# echo OSIbased > /proc/../conf/all/compat

Thanks!

--
Al

-