How to disable ping reply to our own IP address when the eth ifc is down ?

Hi,

  Seems in Linux, if we ping our own IP address
(configured on our local eth interface), it always
succeeds no matter the related eth interface is up or
down. I know this is because Linux let such ICMP
packets go over local loopback interface instead.

  Is there easy anyway to change this behavior, such
that when the eth is down, no ping reply is received
for the IP configured on it?  [ Cisco IOS behaves this
way. ]

  We got complaints on this Linux behavior, since
customers feel it confusing, and don't want to see
ICMP replies for an eth ifc if it's down.

Thanks in advance!
Yanping