Re: How to disable ping reply to our own IP address when the eth ifc is down ?

From: Yanping Du <ypdu2001@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:41:46 -0700 (PDT)

>   We got complaints on this Linux behavior, since
> customers feel it confusing, and don't want to see
> ICMP replies for an eth ifc if it's down.

We're not replying to the "eth interface" we're replying
to the IP address which is still assosciated with this host
even though the interface it is assigned to is down.

This is a major FAQ and has been discussed a thousand times, in short
Linux by default uses the "host based model" of internet addressing
whereas many other systems by default use the "interface based model".

Both are legal as per the RFCs and Linux uses the host based model by
default because it increases the chances of successful communication.

This is also answered at:

     http://linux-net.osdl.org/index.php/IPv4
-