TCP/IP scalability with very tiny transfers

Hi,

I'm writing a "webserver" where all responses are procedurally
generated and less than 1k.  Scalability is key as this is a free
service which gets hit with a new TCP/IP connection every few seconds
for each user.  Unfortunately there is no way to use UDP with AJAX.

So, I'm trying to saturate a Linux boxes fast network connection, and
feeling like I should probably know more about this kind of thing.
Specifically, I'd really rather avoid context switching between an
*large* number of threads (or any) doing so little work but that kind
of thing seems to be typical of the code that I have been reading.

Can someone recommend a good reference or advise me on this?

Sorry if this is a typical question, I wasn't able to find anything with Google.

Thanks,
Adrian
-