IPv6 autoconfiguration with multiple interface identifiers on a single ethernet

Hi,

I want to make a linux 2.6 system perform IPv6 autoconfiguration with multiple interface identifiers on a single network interface and am wondering if there is an easy way to do it. Reading RFC 2564, it seems that normally with an ethernet, something (the kernel?) takes the interface's MAC address, creates an EUI-64 identifier from the MAC address and runs the autoconfiguration protocol using that EUI-64 ID as the interface identifier. This should generate a link local address and one or more addresses of varying scope depending on how many routers are on the network and what prefixes they are advertising (or so I believe to be the case).

I want to make my linux 2.6 system do that with multiple, unique 48 bit numbers on the same ethernet interface.

Is this a kernel function? If so, pointers on what needs to be configured/modified would be appreciated.

Is this the function of some daemon? If so, pointers in that direction would be helpful.

Please don't ask why I want to do this. Let's just say, the "why" it complicated.

Thanks,

Jeff Haran
Brocade Communications Systems

-