Making Ping work. - how does the bridge help

Hi,

I have created a network driver for wireless LAN on Linux 2.4.20 - In
this driver, I have create two network interfaces using init_etherdev
(lets say these interfaces are eth1 and eth2). Now, when I associate two
clients, C1 and C2, with each of these two network interfaces, I can NOT
have ping running between the two pairs viz. C1 and eth1, C2 and eth2.

However, the ping works if I create a bridge and attach each interface
on top of that

1. Create two bridges br1 and br2 and add the two interfaces eth1 and
eth2 on each of the bridges.

#brctl addbr br1
#brctl addbr br2
#brctl addif br1 eth1
#brctl addif br2 eth2

2. Assign IP addresses to these bridges

#ifconfig br1 192.168.1.1
#ifconfig br1 192.168.2.1

3. If I now associate the clients C1 and C2 to these interfaces, the
ping starts running.

Can someone please educate me as to how does the "bridge" help in making
the ping work...

TIA
Ravi

"This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient.  Any unauthorized review, use or distribution by others is strictly prohibited.  If you have received the message in error, please advise the sender by reply email and delete the message. Thank you."