Re: IPSEC perf - do multiple CPUs help?

Hi Herbert,
  Thanks for your reply,

* Herbert Xu (herbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> Dr. David Alan Gilbert <dave@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > So my question is on Linux's ipsec stack if I get a dual xeon
> > or a dual core P4 will the load get spread - or even if it
> > won't help a single direction, will it help me get the
> > bidirectional performance (each direction on each core - perhaps
> > with interrupt routing??)
>
> You need at least two flows for it to spread on the transmitter.
> Since you seem to be transmitter-bound this should help.  On the
> receiver it's more difficult.

I haven't actually tried the opposite direction; I must do
that on Monday.

OK, two questions to clarify this:
   1) Lets say I had one flow in either direction and one CPU
was enough to saturate one direction, would two CPUs get me
close to that performance in both directions at the same time
(minus the normal multiprocessor scaling).

   2) When you say 'two flows' - what is a flow?  Are these seperate
ipsec tunnels/transports  or just IP connections running over a single
tunnel; in my case I have a single tunnel I'm trying to get the performance
out of but will have connections between a few machines at each end.

> > Also, does anyone have any experience with crypto accel cards - I
> > can't see signs of much support on open source drivers for Linux
> > (other than VIA padlock); but the BSDs seem to support a few
> > different ones out of the box.
>
> There are two patch-sets out there that you can use, Acrypto and OCF.
> Support in the main kernel is being worked on.

Interesting; and the price of the accelerator cards doesn't
seem to be that much; certainly a lot less than the cost of
either the machines of the network connection this is going over!
I wonder what the performance they actually give in practice is like.

Thanks again for your reply,

Dave
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert    | Running GNU/Linux on Alpha,68K| Happy  \
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org | MIPS,x86,ARM,SPARC,PPC & HPPA | In Hex /
-