IPSEC perf - do multiple CPUs help?

Hi,
  I'm trying to get a fast IPSEC solution (aiming for 100Mbps
bidir) and have been doing some benchmarking and I'm seeing that,
while I haven't tuned it, a single processor probably won't cut it;
I got about 80Mbps on a 2.4G P4 in one direction with 3DES and
deflate compression - see here for more details of my test
on the ipsec-tools-devel list:

  http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=14618173

(Various people have made suggestions there as well - I'll
be looking at different encryption and dropping the compression)

So my question is on Linux's ipsec stack if I get a dual xeon
or a dual core P4 will the load get spread - or even if it
won't help a single direction, will it help me get the
bidirectional performance (each direction on each core - perhaps
with interrupt routing??)

Also, does anyone have any experience with crypto accel cards - I
can't see signs of much support on open source drivers for Linux
(other than VIA padlock); but the BSDs seem to support a few
different ones out of the box.

Thanks,

Dave
P.S. I'd appreciate a cc of replies.

/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert    | Running GNU/Linux on Alpha,68K| Happy  \
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org | MIPS,x86,ARM,SPARC,PPC & HPPA | In Hex /
-