Re: Static Link Aggregation

On 12/15/05, AndyLiebman@xxxxxxx <AndyLiebman@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Can anyone tell me if the Linux bonding driver  supports "static link
> aggregation"? And if so, which MODE will set up static  aggregation?
>
> In other words, when you start the bonding driver with:
>
> modprobe bonding  mode=X
>
> which mode are you supposed to choose to get "static link  aggregation". Or
> does this not work with the bonding driver?
>
> I have been  playing around with "dynamic link aggregation" and a very
> expensive Gigabit  switch -- with impressive results. But I was hoping to see if I
> can get similar  results using a more humble switch like the new SMC-Smart
> switches (under US  $300) which support "static link aggregation" but DO NOT
> support "dynamic link  aggregation".
>
> Will "mode=0" (round robin) give me static aggregation?
>
> Unfortunately, it's not clear from the bonding.txt document included  with
> the 2.6.14 kernel.
>
> Thanks in advance for your advice.

There are two bonding modes equivalent to static link aggregation,
which use different algorithms for determining which slave to send on
next.  Round-robin and balance-xor will both work (modes 0 and 2).
Balance-xor bases its choice of slave for sending on the xor of the
source and destination MAC addresses, while round-robin just cycles
through the available slaves.  Chances are you probably want
balance-xor.

Jason
-