Re: Selection of TCP congestion avoidance algo per interface?

On Sep 22, 2005, at 10:18 AM, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

Having the decision made by routing similar to how MSS & window sizes etc can be decided surely makes most sense, but I would not bet that someone finds this sufficiently interesting to implement it out of the void for you.

I remember this was discussed a while ago but never came about. I think it makes a lot of sense.

But it should not be much more than adding a new value to RTM_METRICS, and a dst_metrics() lookup at the appropriate place plus additions to iproute to allow the value to be sent to the kernel, but there is complications in that the current RTM_METRICS is all based arount integers while the congestion control algorithms is all named by strings. But on the other hand this probably should be changed for efficiency anyway if doing this as doing a string based lookup for the congestion control algorithm on each new tcp connection is probably not wanted.

There doesn't seem to be a really clean way to do this, but I was thinking of an approach where you could have a table of congestion controllers exposed via /proc, then the dst cache specifies the index into that table.

  -John

-