Re: Kernel Routing and the IntraNet

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Aug 2005, Al Boldi wrote:
> > All modes work fine when the bond is not part of the bridge.
>
> Odd..
>
> > The message stops when one of the bonded devs like eth1 is downed.
>
> Naturally if the cause is what I described: bonding without proper support
> from the switch, causing packets to loop back on the other interfaces in
> the bond.

TLB mode doesn't need any switch support, yet the message persists when part
of the bridge.

Does this mean that the kernel bridge does not support bonding?

> > Also, what's the idea of this tight IP to devMAC relationship?
> > Shouldn't the IP be on a different level of abstraction from the lower
> > dev abstraction and then linked via some map?
>
> No idea what "tight IP to devMAC relationship" you are talking about. The
> two are pretty separate from each other.

Should an IP be bound to a dev?

> The local IP stack will get somewhat upset if it receives IP packets with
> a source IP matching one of it's own interfaces, as this indicates
> something is wrong in the network either an IP conflict or packets being
> looped back to the sender host.

Ping from the local host to a non-existent IP reproduces the message.

Can the bridge handle broadcasts looping back?

--
Al
-