Re: Westwood performance?

On Monday 29 August 2005 16:28, Lewis Adam-CAL022 wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am evaluating the Westwood protocol in the lab using NISTnet as an
> emulator.  So far I am seeing little to zero improvement of TCP
> performance using Westwood as opposed to the Vegas implementation in
the
> kernel.

We did a lot of tests like yours. Angelo's Westwood+ seems to perform
much better on long TCP connections. Try to make a longer connection
(i.e. 300-600 sec.) and see if something changes.
Also you can try to enlarge tcp_wmem, as with such a delay you need more
memory for TCP buffers.

> Am I using a valid version of Westwood in this kernel?  Is there
anyway
> to verify that it is running, aside from cat-ing the /proc files?
> Anything in /var/log/messages or elsewhere?  Or is this really the
best
> one can hope for with Westwood (e.g. 5% improvement)?

I suggest you to take a closer look to the TCP variables, to see if your
Westwood+ is performing as expected, adding some printk() or using the
MultiTCP kernel patch, available at:

http://sf.net/projects/multitcp

Regards,

--