Re: TCP_CONNTRACK_ESTABLISHED 5days

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, Mogens Valentin wrote:

WRT ssh, on the sshd side of things, for protocol 2 at least, ClientAliveInterval/ClientAliveCountMax can easily keep that ssh session open over the weekend.

So can enabling TCP keep-alives.

Yes. But, at least for SSH, keep-alive is spoofable; ClientAlive is not.

Works well for me with a 10 min conntrack timeout, no probs with any other services for weeks now. Saves a lot of entries in the table.

10 mins is a bit too agressive. Which this please make absolutely sure you RST unknown traffic rather than dropping it regardless of from where it is seen. If not you risk causing a bit of trouble to various servers by their client connections suddenly going numb..

Sure, I do RST those..

However, I'd still like to know which other normally occuring TCP stuff needs such a looong establishment.

Any protocol supporting long idle phases. The obvious ones is the interactive protocols

  Telnet
  SSH
  rsh/rlogin
  ftp
  etc

Right, but then again, I don't believe in unsafe connections.
Never had a problem with ftp after reducing my timeout..

But when talking as short timeouts as 10 minutes you also have to worry about very many other protocols

  Various SQL/ODBC protocols
  HTTP/HTTPS in combination with certain applicaitons
  NFS
  SMB

etc. And depending on your situation some of these may well belong to the first category above requiring very long established timeouts.

I see your point. I should've been more specific, my fault.
The timeout of cause depends upon the intended use.
I my case, doing internal test/integration, and connecting to servers for systems administration, I have control of what I do, so I can have a short timeout.

For other uses, one will have to analyse the setup, or stick with defaults. However, others have commented (directly) they've reduced the estblished timeout significantly without problems.

I guess maybe I stand partly corrected ;)

--
Kind regards,
Mogens Valentin

-