Re: route problem

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 02:29:37AM -0700, Kovacs Gyuszko SK wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i'm trying to make speed tests on linux with two
> gigabit ethernet interfaces
> and with the iperf program.
> actually i want to manage those tests with only one
> machine. the linux box has
> two gigabit interfaces, which is connected to a
> switch.
> the actual network settings is the follows:
> eth0: 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
> eth1: 10.0.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
>
> the route table is the follows:
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags
> Metric Ref    Use Iface
> 10.0.0.0        *               255.255.255.0   U
> 0      0        0 eth0
> 10.0.1.0        *               255.255.255.0   U
> 0      0        0 eth1
> loopback        *               255.0.0.0       U
> 0      0        0 lo
Those are two distinct subnets, so they're not supposed to "talk" to each
other, and I'm surprised that you're getting any performance data at all.
OTOH, if you give both interfaces the same subnet, then bandwidth testing
over that "link" won't work either since it's the same subnet on the same
box, IOW the machine doesn't know where to send packets for Tx.

> how can i manage to the packets go through the
> ethernet interfaces?
I'm not a Linux networking guru, merely somewhat advanced, but I'd say
trying to achieve "local" routing over physical interfaces requires some
"special" setup.
One way might be a virtual machine solution such as qemu with tun/tap
devices (or UML, user-mode Linux). That way you should be able to achieve two
"boxes" on the same machine talking over two ethernet devices on the SAME
physical machine and the SAME subnet.

But I'm sure I'm missing some very simple clever hack on Linux to make that
special setup work without any additional magic...

Andreas Mohr
-