Disabling Nagle Algorithm

Hi,

Is there a way so that the Nagle algorithm
can be disabled. I tried the TCP_NODELAY
socket option but that does not seem to help.
I need to send specific sized packets for an experimental evaluation. The TCP_NODELAY
option seems to work for a while, after which it switches
to its size 1448 bytes. For example, I have an application
that writes packets of size much smaller than 1448 bytes.
Tcpdump shows that initially the packet size is the chosen small
value, but after a while it changes back to 1448 bytes (appears
like some buffer getting full). The time after which this change occurs also varies.

   It would be very helpful if somebody could provide
some insight into this or we can conclude either of the two:

1. No socket or kernel option can guarantee disabling of
Nagle algorithm and there is no way packet size can be chosen
as in UDP.
2. The phenomenon is due to some other factor.

Thanks, -- Vikas Paliwal
-