Re: debug network packets

apalaios@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Thx but this means that i must recompile the kernel...right?
I ll check it thx again
Quoting Neil Horman <nhorman@xxxxxxxxxx>:

Thats right. The only other thing I could think of (that doesn't require kernel recompiles) would be to use iptables and the ip_queue or ip_log targets. By adding rules to the all the tables chains (INPUT, PREROUTING, POSTROUTING, OUTPUT, etc.), you could track all packets that matched certain criteria through various points in the kernel. And based on what you logged, or sent to the userspace queue (via netlink), you could probably track an individual packet.

Neil

apalaios@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi... do u know how i can "watch" the path that a packet follows after it

have

been received from the kernel?
I need a low level packet debuger or something else that shows what a

packet do

inside the kernel..

Any suggestion?
Thx

there is a debug variable in the sock structure that you can enable at various points, and use in instrumentation to conditionally print out data at various points. I usually turn in on in sys_socket, or sys_connect, etc, based on information I have on hand at the time (process name, dest ip, etc). That allows me to print out data for a particular socket as its datagrams traverse the IP stack.

HTH
Neil

 *Neil Horman
 *Software Engineer
 *Red Hat, Inc.
 *nhorman@xxxxxxxxxx
 *gpg keyid: 1024D / 0x92A74FA1
 *http://pgp.mit.edu

This message was sent through the TEI of ATHENS by means of NOC.

 *Neil Horman
 *Software Engineer
 *Red Hat, Inc.
 *nhorman@xxxxxxxxxx