diskless installation and kernelparamter ip=...

Hello,

I set up a diskless installation. When I used the kernelparameter
ip=autoconf it didn't work, the same configuration worked when I used
ip=dhcp instead (following the recommandation of a colleague who once ran in
the same problem).
Now I am happy that my configuration works, but I'd still like to understand
what happens. Can anyone tell me, what exactly is the difference between
ip=autoconf and ip=dhcp.

Details:
--------
- I used mknbi-linux to generate the kernel image that is stored at the boot
server and sent via tftp to the client upon request; the kernel parameter
settings where attached useing the --append option of mknbi-linux
- With the first configuration (ip=autoconf), the kernel started to boot and
requested an IP address. The server saw that request (as I verified in the
servers log file) and sent a response. Somehow however, the client did not
see the response (or was not happy with it) and continued to request an IP
address forever (since it needs to mount its root file system over NFS).
- With the second configuration (ip=dhcp), things worked just fine.

Thanks a lot for all hints
regards
Martin

-