Re: eth0 ARP-replying for eth1

Greetings,

 : eth0 on this machine was responding to ARP requests for 10.0.0.1 with
 : the MAC address of eth1. My LTSP clients were then attempting to TFTP
 : or NFS to that MAC address, and hanging (since it wasn't on the LAN).
 : Is this expected behaviour? Shouldn't interfaces keep schtum about each
 : other for fear of leaking information across networks? I've tried to
 : google, and I've searched the kernel docs, but I can't find anything
 : that would answer the question: is this right?
 :
 : One lesson I've learnt is that you don't use the obvious ranges
 : when assigning private IP addresses.

This question comes up occasionally on this list.  This is normal Linux
kernel behaviour, but there are ways you can change the behaviour.  Here's
a description of the "problem", and a few solutions (content over a year
old, but it still holds).

  http://linux-ip.net/html/ether-arp.html#ether-arp-flux

By default, an ARP reply will be generated for IP addresses available on a
host, not just IP addresses on the interface through which the ARP query
was received.

You'll probably want to look into using:

  - the stock 'arp_filter' sysctl
  - the patch for the 'hidden' sysctl by Julian Anastasov
  - more advanced ARP magic with "ip arp" (by Julian)

Good luck!

-Martin

--
Martin A. Brown --- SecurePipe, Inc. --- mabrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx