eth0 ARP-replying for eth1

Hi,

I've been debugging a problem that we've had here with LTSP (diskless
kiosks PXE booting, NFS mounting), and I've tracked down the problem
to be unexpected behaviour (well *I* didn't expect it) in RHAS 3 (I
imagine it's the same with other linux), kernel-2.4.21-20.EL .

Simply put, the LTSP kiosks would sometimes hang with a TFTP timeout
immediately after getting their DHCP configuration, and sometimes
they'd get further along then hang when trying to NFS mount. I spent
a while attempting to debug TFTP and NFS before finally putting a
sniffer on the wire and tracing the problem to another machine
entirely.

The LTSP server is on 10.0.0.1 (yes, stupid choice - I've learnt
my lesson) and I found that the clients when ARP-querying the
network would also get another reply for 10.0.0.1. Arpwatch is
running on the network, and didn't spot any duplicate IP addresses.
The rogue 10.0.0.1 address was traced to another server with two
interfaces - eth0 on the LAN with an address in our network range,
and eth1 with 10.0.0.1 which was connected directly to another
machine by crossover cable - neither of these two machines were
routing between these networks.

eth0 on this machine was responding to ARP requests for 10.0.0.1
with the MAC address of eth1. My LTSP clients were then attempting
to TFTP or NFS to that MAC address, and hanging (since it wasn't
on the LAN). Is this expected behaviour? Shouldn't interfaces keep
schtum about each other for fear of leaking information across
networks? I've tried to google, and I've searched the kernel docs,
but I can't find anything that would answer the question: is this
right?

One lesson I've learnt is that you don't use the obvious ranges
when assigning private IP addresses.

--
Illtud Daniel                                 illtud.daniel@xxxxxxxxxxx
Uwch Ddadansoddwr Systemau                       Senior Systems Analyst

-