Re: [RFC] handle return codes of inetaddr_notifiers

On Wednesday 03 November 2004 08:36, David S. Miller wrote:

> Why don't you add a special list to the inetdev structure,
> making it a list of ipv4 addresses which may not be added to
> the system?  Add generic interfaces exported by net/ipv4/inetdev.c
> which add/delete such addresses, and make the normal userspace
> invoked routines which add addresses check this exclusion list.

Do you mean a list of IP addresses that are already in use by other
OS images, and, hence, cannot be used by our Linux image?
This won't work. There are up 160 (and in the future even more)
OS images on one card. And these images don't have knowledge about
each other. So we cannot create this IP address list.

> You guys put so many damn hacks into this s390 driver instead
> of finding clean solutions within the networking code.  Please
> stop doing this and life might start being a lot easier for
> you :-)

We'll have virtualization on ethernet layer soon. That will really make
our live easier, because then our virtual hardware will look like any other
10$ network adaptor.

--
Regards,
Thomas.