Re: [RFC] handle return codes of inetaddr_notifiers

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 08:28:09 +0100
Thomas Spatzier <tspat@de.ibm.com> wrote:

> The bad thing is, that Linux's EEXIST has a totally different meaning than
> our hardware's EEXIST.
> So, I guess the end of the story really is that we can just print an error
> message, That's one of the problems we have to live with with our
> current virtualization hardware.

Why don't you add a special list to the inetdev structure,
making it a list of ipv4 addresses which may not be added to
the system?  Add generic interfaces exported by net/ipv4/inetdev.c
which add/delete such addresses, and make the normal userspace
invoked routines which add addresses check this exclusion list.

Much cleaner to do that instead of all of this monkeying
around you do currently.

You guys put so many damn hacks into this s390 driver instead
of finding clean solutions within the networking code.  Please
stop doing this and life might start being a lot easier for
you :-)
-