REPOST: Channel bonding and IRQ affinity

With the 2.6 kernel, it seems that a single CPU is used to service a
single NIC.  I've read a paper on NAPI that explains why this is done,
and that makes sense.

However, it does mean I can't scale a Linux box horizontally (i.e.
more CPUs) to increase its maximum loss-free forwarding rate.  So far,
with an interesting ruleset and IPVS, I top out at about 138Kpps on a
dual-P4 (with HTT).

So I'm thinking of getting a couple of 4-port cards and using channel
bonding to produce two bonded interfaces, each serviced by 4 ports.

But I worry. :-)

Will the code path from packet receipt, through Netfilter, and up to
packet transmission fix one bonded interface to a single CPU, or is the
limitation that only one CPU is used to service a single physical NIC?

Thanks,
Sheldon.

-