Re: Request for information regarding performance of Intel CSA link NICs with e1000 driver [ partial answer ]

Your subject line is way too long...I didn't know what the email was about until
I openned it.  It almost got discarded as more spam sent to the lists...

> I had overlooked this set of results:
> http://www4.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040430/gigabit_ethernet-09.html
>
> These results suggest that CSA works as advertised (it breaks the PCI
> 32/33 barrier). However, these tests were run in WinXP, not Linux. The
> netperf baseline is considerably lower than my memory-to-memory
> measurements on similar hardware, and the PCI-X system performs worse
> than I expected. Nevertheless, CSA does work as advertised in breaking
> past the PCI bottleneck.

I don't fully trust Tom's Hardware to begin with.  They've been known in the
past to skew results.  I personally wouldn't use WinXp in anything
mission-critical to begin with, so the point is moot.  They offer nothing
towards the Linux crowd.

> I'm contacting the authors to see if they have any results of that
> article. I'd still like to learn about Linux user experiences with this
> hardware.

My point stands...

However, PCI is amazingly slow in comparison to everything else.  With PCI
Express moving in, all these old standards will move out.  PCI-X is nice and
all, but as far as expansion goes it's still kind of limited.  All the other
PCI specs are just slow (32-bit, 64-bit, 33mhz, 66mhz, all slow).  PCI Express
is now being used on some motherboards, you might want to check out the speed
there...  I've heard/seen that the performance for those is amazing...

However, if CSA is that important, grap a linux box and hack it apart...some
real raw numbers are always pretty, even if they aren't always real-world...

-ryan

--
huh?