Re: [netfilter-core] memory leak with IP connection tracking and IP forwarding

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 04:02:26PM +0200, Thomas Spatzier wrote:
> > > I'm experiencing a major memory leak if I run a router with IP connection
> > > tracking enabled and packets larger than MTU size.
> >
> > How do you observe such a memory leak?  What exact values are you
> > looking at?
>
> On the router I issue a 'watch -n 1 cat /proc/meminfo'.
> Then I do a 'ping -f -s 64000' from one host to another host via the router.
> On each update of my watch above there are about 10 MB of memory
> (MemFree) missing.

MemFree is not significant in this case.  please refer to your favourite
linux kernel FAQ.

> I also watched /proc/slabinfo and noticed the increasing size of the
> skbuff_head_cache slab.

does it increase and stay at a certain value, or increase indefinitely?
my guess is that you are observing quite normal behaviour, after getting
used, the slab cache allocates some memory which is then re-used again
and again.

Interesting is also not the sizze of the SLAB, but the number of objects
in use from a particular slab.

--
- Harald Welte <laforge@netfilter.org>             http://www.netfilter.org/