Re: Accepting packets with frame dest.addr. ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff for routing

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Martin Rusko wrote:

> WD receives that reply by his (ei), but before he retransmits that
> ethernet frame to wireless part of the network, he replaces source MAC
> address (RT's MAC) with HIS OWN MAC address, belonging to (wi)
> interface. Also, in the same time, WD records an IP=10.18.241.1-MAC=RT
> pair to some table (I'm not sure about this, only guessing). So when
> later any packet from wireless net will be directed to 10.18.241.1 it
> will be able to send  it to correct MAC address from (ei).

This is plain proxy-arp.

The WI needs to have routing information for your network. You can not
direct routing cross a proxy-arp router.

> WD receives that frame by (wi), looks into table and what? WD is
> searching his table from top to bottom, from bottom to top, but in no
> direction he is able to find a record for 10.18.63.249 (because he never
> saw a packet with such IP). He doesn't discard that packet, no no, he
> simply replace frame's destination MAC address (his own) with
> ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff and send out by (ei) interface!!!

Broken access point. In this case it should send an ARP request, not
broadcast the frame. There is no systems which will accept the broadcast
for delivery. You can not rely on proxy-ARP alone to populate the MAC
cache, there is multiple other ways packets can be addressed (direct
routing, fixed MAC addresses etc etc..)

But if you switch to using proxy-arp on your gateway instead of directed
routing on the client then things will work just for any host directly
connected to the same segment. No need to mess around with broadcasts etc
to solve this trivial situation.

Regards
Henrik

-