E1000 NETDEV WATCHDOG and PCI-X

Hi,

[Please Cc me as I am not subscribed.]

We're getting lots of NETDEV WATCHDOG: ... transmit timed out when under
heavy load, despite using driver version 5.2.30.1.

This: http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-009865-prd38.htm says
that there's some sort of issue when the card is in a PCI-X slot and doing
jumbo frames, which is exactly our case.

PCI-X does seem to have something to do with this: we tried putting
another card on the same bus, an unrelated card that is NOT PCI-X, and the
NETDEV WATCHDOG timeouts went away.

I would like to ask whether there might be a way to workaround this
problem until a real fix is found: is there a way to make the card non
PCI-X somehow, perhaps with setpci or by tweaking the driver?

More details...:

NIC: 82546EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 1) (that's a dual port).
   Although I believe we had similar problems with other models.
Machine: Dell PowerEdge 2650 and 4600.
Kernel: 2.4.x, x from 20 to 25... derived from kernel.org.
E1000 driver version: tried a bunch including 5.2.30.1, 5.2.22, 5.2.20,
   4.4.19... tried with and without NAPI.

With our current setup with the latest versions of stuff, we consistently
see the WATCHDOG timeout errors start to appear after about half an hour
of heavy load. In some cases the timeouts will repeatedly occur as often
as one or two minutes apart.

Our typical test load is file serving over NFS (UDP) plus samba. However
for some reason, very regular traffic patterns don't seem to trigger the
problem:  uni-directional UDP or TCP streams don't do it, serving files
with most operations being all reads or all writes doesn't trigger it, it
seems to require a mix of operations creating a mix of heavy in and
out-bound traffic.

Thanks for any hints

-