Catching socket close

Hi,

I'm trying to write a protocol layered on top of UDP in the kernel. What I
need to do is catch the close() on the socket so I can free some associated
structures. However, I've tried changing the function pointers in:

(struct sock *)->prot.close
(struct socket *)->ops.release

But neither seems to get called. Any idea what I may be missing? Note I'm
actually changing the prot and ops fields to point to new copies of the
structures with only that function changed to avoid destroying anything
else.

Another thing, is it possible to pass an skb straight into the UDP layer, at
the moment I have to sendmsg.

Thanks in advance,