Re: 2.6.0-test8-mm1: Uninitialised timer! -- (ipsec) / Fatal exception in interrupt

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 12:21:53AM -0800, David S. Miller wrote:

> The lists must hold a reference, as must socket sk_policy[] slots.

It all comes down to what value you want to assign to a policy that's
only in a list and not being used by anything else.

Currently if it's a normal policy it get a refcount of 1, while socket
policies get a refcount of 2.  Both cases are coded correctly (well
apart from that timer bug).

So if you prefer the way it's done for socket policies, I can easily
do it the other way and bump the count of normal policies.

> No reference count of this kind is gratuitous, it is necessary to count
> the object refs in all places where they occur.

Of course it's not gratuitous if it is needed.  But in this particular
case there is no need for the extra bump as the policy already has a
refcount on its way in which never gets released (see the place in
xfrm_state.c where socket policies are inserted).
-