Re: Kernel L2TP support

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 07:38:52AM -0700, David S. Miller wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 00:33:48 +1000
> Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org> wrote:
>
> > I have need of kernel support for L2TP tunnelling. It doesn't appear to
> > exist yet (though if somebody knows of an implementation let me know). I was
> > just wondering if anybody had hints as how to go about making it work.
>
> There are userland implementations.  F.e.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/l2tpd
>
> It seems some of these folks have thought to do a kernel side
> implementation but they never finish.  There appears to be no
> real desire, since the userlevel solution is good enough for
> just about everyone.

Yes. The userland implementations, while not perfect, do work. But this is
for a system that may have to handle upto 2000 connections simultaneously.
The trips to user space, for low level bandwidth, are not too expensive now
but if it expands it could become a problem. Hence the wish to do it in the
kernel so 90% of packets can be forwarded without leaving kernel space.

However, I've just realised that CIPE currently uses a UDP socket to
communicate and gets the data packets straight through kernel space without
any issues. Perhaps it is a good model to start from.

Thanks for your help,