Kernel L2TP support

Hi,

I have need of kernel support for L2TP tunnelling. It doesn't appear to
exist yet (though if somebody knows of an implementation let me know). I was
just wondering if anybody had hints as how to go about making it work.

The basic idea is that one socket can support multiple tunnels and each
tunnel can have multiple calls. Each call will be terminated to a PPP
session.

The control messaging can be handled by userspace, my problem is how to get
the kernel support to sit on the UDP socket eating only the data packets and
leaving the control packets alone. AFAIK there is no way for a process to
sit between a socket and a user space process. My only other thought it for a
kernel thread to own the socket and retransmit to control packets through
another socket. Does this sound like a good idea?

The other idea was to create a new FD for each call which you pass to pppd
to do it's job with. Sound sensible to me, at least as long as the PPP
daemon can only handle one session per process.

Are there any other tunneling protocols that implement anything similar?

Thanks in advance.