Re: Atomic.h for PPC

Solmaz Mustafa wrote:
I am trying to develop a program on PowerPC and as trying to use LOKI's
smart pointers I had some problems of compilation. Loki's headers use atomic_inc_and_test() and atomic_dec_and_test() atomic
operations for multi-threaded purpose. Those methods are available in many
of Linux Kernel APIs but in the one for Power PCs. Almost all
/usr/include/asm/atomic.h files have those methods well defined but on Power
PCs.

My atomic.h is 11th version and that it has atomic_inc_return() method which
I suppose will be used later as atomic_inc_and_test() method.
Would you please show me a way to sort out this problem? I can write my own
methods using the current atomic.h but I just do not know how to implement
it in a safe way.

This is off-topic for linux-net. Please try posting your question on a more appropriate group, e.g. one of the lists at http://lists.linuxppc.org/

I have a feeling you're writing a user-mode program, so you
shouldn't care about the kernel's atomic operations.  Since
you seem to be using c++, I'd suggest having a look at
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/porting/Thread-safety.html#Thread%20safety
and maybe searching the archives of the gcc or libstdc++ mailing
lists for similar questions.
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel