Re: IP datagram size.

This isn't really an opinion.  However, it's not a simple question,
either.  Technically, 64k (65535) is the maximum size of an IP
datagram.  Some implementations have used a signed 16 bit integer for
this field, which effectively limits it (in those cases) to 32k (32768).

There is also a maximum packet size imposed by the lower layer(s) as
well.  For ethernet, that limit is 1500 bytes.  Packets larger than this
are fragmented.  As long as the IP stack supports fragmentation (most
do), then you can send a large packet, and the sending IP layer will
split it up for you and the receiving IP layer will put it back together
again.  Of course, there is a possibility that the resulting packets
will arrive out of order, and the IP stack has to handle this as well,
by buffering the fragments until they are all received and then
reassembling them.

In addition, now that we live in a paranoid world, there are firewalls
and other devices which have been configured to drop fragments, or
simply poorly implemented so that they drop them.

In conclusion, the answer is, "it depends...".

On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 20:15, jshankar wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What is the size of IP datagram on linux operating system.
>
> Is it 65535 bytes.
>
> Please let me know your opinion.
>

> Thanks
> Jay
>
> -
> : send the line "unsubscribe linux-net" in
    Lawrence MacIntyre     865.574.8696     lpz@ornl.gov
               Oak Ridge National Laboratory
High Performance Information Infrastructure Technology Group