FW: Large buffer in kernel space

> Can somebody please explain to me, which method should I use to build (for
> kernel space manipulation only) large (20MB-30MB) buffer in memory that
can
> be used across /net/ipv4/*.c files? It is mainly for mining some data in
IP
> packet processing process... (but needs to be large because i want to run
> 2Mbps flows)

Why do you think this needs a buffer in kernel space? I would think the
obvious way to mine data from IP packets would be to use a netfilter
rule to queue them up for a user process to manipulate.

---

Sandy,

thx for your comment but...

but i __do_not_need__ to store packets in user space - only some information
from packet processing path (timing execution).
After the analysis I want to be able to say: " in cycle number X packet
number Y has its header processed, few cycles afterwards there was next hop
LOOKUP that took Z cycles etc." So i dont need to queue packets in
user-space (at least this is what i think).

i only want to dump some informational data into buffer to prevent from
performance hit that might happen when writing to some file.

i would like to vmalloc some mem. and i would ask you to tell me how.

regards,

adam

-