Re: siI3112 crash on enabling dma

Hi,
i'm having the same problem with 2.4.21 vanilla on a friends' pc.
There is one maxtor HD connected to the Silicon Image SATA board
(so no raid functionality is used)
I've installed Debian using custom CDs and upgraded to unstable.
The system itself runs fine, only HD performance is /very/ low.
During woody installation you sometimes (like during mke2fs) could watch
characters being painted on the screen in framebuffer line by line.

The installed system worked ok, only very sluggish during high disk
load. hdparm gave (with 32bit, unmasqirq, multcount, readahead) a
performance of less than two MB per sec.

Enabling DMA worked sometimes, increasing the performance to 50 MB/s.

I had a very irritating effect i do not understand fully. I can only
explain it with high disc load.

I had set hdparm parameters in the shell and they worked fine.
I then put these parameters in an init script and rebooted.
When the init script is run automatically the system dies.
But when i init to single-user and then run the script manually it
works fine. Reproducible.
I tired adding a "flush" before running hdparm, but it didn't help.

The error message is similar (maybe the number is different) to
blk: queue c0468b00, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
mentioned in http://lkml.org/archive/2003/6/11/164/index.html

In  http://lkml.org/archive/2003/6/10/245/index.html
Justin Cormack mentiones
  echo "max_kb_per_request:15" > /proc/ide/hdXX/settings
as a known bug. Where do i find details about this one?

A related question: since the machine has only one HD connected to the
SATA controller, is there some way to disable the driver looking for
hdg (second channel)? it takes quite long to find that there is no cable
connected there. :-(

Greetings,
Erich Schubert

P.S. the friend said windows dies on that machine after a couple of
runs... it seems to have worse problems with that sata board. ;)
Similar to the effect described in
http://lkml.org/archive/2003/6/10/130/index.html
--
    erich@(mucl.de|debian.org)      --      GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
     Go away or i'll replace you with a very small shell script.    //\