mptlan problems

Hi,

I am trying to set up IP over fibre channel using the mptlan.o module.
Our HBAs are 1Gb copper boards based upon the EOL'd LSI FC909 controller.
We are running into strange problems with ARP exchanges.  The problem
seems to be that once a node sends a frame, no other machine can
successfully transmit one.  Thus, if I try to ping machine B from machine
A, B will get a valid ARP broadcast frame.  It will attempt to send a
unicast response, but the response packet will never be sent over the
wire, and the TX error counter will incremented in machine B's interface
statistics.  B's arp table now hold's A's IEEE802 address, and A just goes
on sending ARP requests forever.

I have been using tcpdump to get hex dumps of traffic over the fibre LAN
interfaces.  The ARP requests and responses look perfect, and the problem
appears to be at a lower level.  I understand that most of the development
and testing work on mptlan was done on the fc919 and fc929 ASICs, so I'm
wondering if these old fc909 boards will play at all.  I have seen this
behavior on 2.4.19 through 2.4.21.  I have not tried older kernels, but
would be willing to do so.  I know that the boards are functional because
they have no problem doing block IOs with my fibre disk arrays.

In order to remove some of the complexity, I also tried plugging two
2.4.21 boxes together in a point-to-point.  This setup produced identical
results to my tests on the switched fabric.

I am rather new to fibre channel, so it is quite possible that I am just
doing something stupid.  If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks,

Tom Keiser
tkeiser@cede.psu.edu
-