Re: Communicating on Ethernet Layer

Hello Brad,

On Dienstag, 3. Juni 2003 22:52, Brad Hards wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Jun 2003 21:21 pm, Andreas Schaufler wrote:

> > I got 2 Linux Boxes wired over a ethernet switch. (no other box is
> > connected to the switch). On one box I would write a daemon that is
> > listening on the network interface. On the other box a program is sending
> > an ethernet packet to the other box, which then replies the same packet.
> > This is done several thousand times and the average is then used as the
> > result of the measuring. By varieing the amount of user data in the
> > ethernet package it would be possible to show some scaling figures.
>
> Microbenchmarks rarely show anything meaningful, but whatever takes your
> fancy.

thank you very much for your answer. This measurings are done at my
university. We try to compare Windows 2000' against Linux' network
capabilities and are interested in getting meaningful results. Those shall
later be used in order to see which OS is to be prefered in a Parallel
Computing System from the network point of view.
Why do you think we won't achieve this goal this way ? What would be an
alternative ?

best regards
-Andreas

-