Communicating on Ethernet Layer

Hello,

I want to do some performance measuring on Linux' networking capabilities on
the ethernet level.

My idea is the following:

I got 2 Linux Boxes wired over a ethernet switch. (no other box is connected
to the switch). On one box I would write a daemon that is listening on the
network interface. On the other box a program is sending an ethernet packet
to the other box, which then replies the same packet. This is done several
thousand times and the average is then used as the result of the measuring.
By varieing the amount of user data in the ethernet package it would be
possible to show some scaling figures.

But how can I communicate on the ethernet level ? Is there any special device
that could be used ?

Thank you very much for every hint.

best regards
-Andreas