Re: Route cache performance under stress

Simon Kirby writes:

 > This reminds me of the situation we experienced with the dst cache
 > overflowing in early 2.2 kernels.  This was a long time ago, when our
 > traffic was only about 10 Mbits/second.  We had recently upgraded from a
 > 2.0 kernel.  The dst cache was overflowing due to a bug in the garbage
 > collector, and at the time, no messages were printed.  It took me a
 > _long_ time to figure out why connections to a server I hadn't previously
 > connected to in a while would only work every so often, and not
 > immediately like they should.  I'm affraid this approach will have a
 > similar effect, albeit (hopefully) only under an attack.

 We are given more work than we have resources for (max_size) what else than
 refuse can we do?  But yes we have invested pretty much work already.

 Also remember we are looking into runs were 100% of incoming traffic has one
 new dst for every packet. So how is the situation in "real life"?
 In case of multiple devices at least NAPI gives all devs it's share.

 > Is it possible to have a dst LRU or a simpler approximation of such and
 > recycle dst entries rather than deallocating/reallocating them?  This
 > would relieve a lot of work from the garbage collector and avoid the
 > periodic large garbage collection latency.  It could be tuned to only
 > occur in an attack (I remember Alexey saying that the deferred garbage
 > collection was implemented to reduce latency in normal opreation).

 I don't see how this can be done. Others may?

 Cheers.
						--ro

-