routing for 2 cards on single system and transfer of packets through wireconnecting them

Hi,

I am looking for some information on the Linux networking interface and it
would be great if someone could help me on this. The problem statement:

Can we configure the networking interface and the routing table in linux in
such a way that the packets meant from one interface to another interface
on the same system ( 2 network cards on the same system connected to each
other through a cross cable), passes through the ethernet cards. (i.e
linux should not bypass the driver/card , at the IP layer. The packets
should not be routed back at the IP layer,without going down to the card.
).
One way is to change the ipaddress at the device driver and fool the IP
layer, ( as specified by Alssendro Rubini, in his test network device
driver ). But this needs a change in device driver and I am looking for a
solution which is regardless of the underlying device driver or any patch
to the kernel, that is, it  should work with the standard releases.

Any help will be appreciated.

thanks,
Raghav

PS: Please reply to srraghav@in.ibm.com.