Re: Link up detection bug in tg3

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 04:44:09PM -0400, Tony Battersby wrote:

> It is a Shuttle FS50 with single processor.  I am already booting it with
> "noapic".  It is running a SMP kernel for other reasons...

Hmm.  I see.  That doesn't seem to make very much sense. :)

> > My eventual workaround consisted of "ifconfig eth0 down;
> > ifconfig eth0 up".  Does this start it working for you?
>
> This makes it work, but it is not a solution for me.  The card is going to
> be installed in an embedded system where the user will not be able to issue
> commands.  Thus, it needs to work automatically.

I don't understand... This obviously isn't fixing the real problem, but
as you seem to have control of the hardware, it should be easy for you to
insert "ifconfig eth0 down;ifconfig eth0 up" in /sbin/ifup-local on
Red Hat boxes or /etc/network/interfaces on Debian boxes or similar,
unless you are shipping the hardware without software.

It would really be nice to track down what is causing this problem,
though, so perhaps you should keep trying. :)

Simon-

[        Simon Kirby        ][        Network Operations        ]
[     sim@netnation.com     ][   NetNation Communications Inc.  ]
[  Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. ]
-